Monday, September 12, 2005

Me and the Grand Canyon...or is the Grand Canyon and I?




The pictures really don't do it justice...


Hello my lovely friends and family! I'm currently in the, well lovely (?) town of Adelanto, CA..don't look it up as you won't find much. :) I've had to halt my travel 89 miles outside of LA due to a bout of the flu, though I'm confident it will be gone tomorrow. Plus, sitting in traffic after a power outage in LA doesn't sound all that great after 7 hours of driving. Sooo, on with it. After Albuquerque I arrived at the Grand Canyon! I had pretty high expectations, even though people had said "oh it's just a hole in the ground", but did those people really look at it? I mean, it's enormous and incredibly beautiful, especially if you watch the sun change and the shadows play. I sat along an edge (don't worry I was far away from the actual edge) and watched the Sun go down. As my brother asked "Did you get all deep thought like?" - and yes, of course I did. I couldn't help but be contemplative and feel quite small when the oldest rocks at the bottom date back 1.84 billion years. I went back this morning to try and ride a mule down to the bottom...reservations are recommended otherwise there's a waiting list and I would have been on that list for quite a long time. I thought about hiking down, but as I looked at my pink trainers and the lack of water bottle, I thought it would be smarter to just stare at it a bit more. By the way, it gets really really cold as the sun sets, so if you choose to sit and watch, bring a blanket!
I entered California and suddenly the speed on the road went up 20 miles per hour...from 75 to 95...crazy Cali's. :) So, enough of my chatter...here are the pictures. :)
P.S. More on the lovely last night in a hotel tomorrow...it's funny.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Actually the pictures do do it justice! Looks amazing!!!