Thursday, September 08, 2005

Day 2, Part B - to Indiana aka Wine Country?


downtown and to the right: Entertainment District

A War Memorial and Tommy with Burrito :)


Random Shot along the way...

The Restaurant along Eagle Creek

I'm currently in Terre Haute, Indiana. The drive here wasn't too exciting, though for all those traveling through Ohio - there are a lot of Cops along the way! My lovely friends Tommy und Veronika - whom you met earlier as they visited us in NY and MN, live in Terre Haute. Sadly Veronika is currently back in Austria and I miss her but Tommy was a great host and showed me all of the Indiana Sights. Also he informed me that Terre Haute is not only home to a University, but also an Extreme High Security Prison - no wonder they have so many locks on their doors. :) So, we ventured to Indianapolis or "Indy" as they call it here...Well, along the way we stopped at a Winery called "Chateau Thomas" - Would you expect to find wine in Indiana? Well, this winery actually buys their grapes from California and then makes the wine here...but on an empty stomach we decided to have a free tasting. Well, 5 tastings later (and a little happier) we left to find the entertainment district of "Indy", but first went to a lovely restaurant/bar along Eagle Creek to enjoy a lemonade. A lovely accidental tour of the city followed as we searched for this infamous entertainment district. We did end up finding it and enjoyed dinner at a 24 Hour Burrito place...this area was actually pretty cool and I'm sure really fun on the weekend...but on a Wednesday night it wasn't so packed. We continued the tour of downtown Indy which has a fascination with the wars of America. Seriously, there's a monument for most of the wars and a massive one right in the center...On a side note: As I jumped out of the car to photograph one of the monuments there was an extremely right wing radio station blaring over the loud speaker and I looked over and saw the building with it's lights decorated as the American Flag...hmm coincidence? I think not...but no comment out of me. Unfortunatly most of the city was sleeping by the time we arrived, but we did find the Slippery noodle Blues Club...They were having a jam session so anyone could play - the people that were up were actually pretty good. So, one beer later we drove back to Terre Haute. Tomorrow I'm on route to Ozark Missouri, but I'm going through St. Louis so I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures. Oh, taking pictures of myself and monuments - difficult. Taking pictures of things out of the window while driving - really freakin difficult!
Good Night! :)

1 comment:

Steve said...

Wine and burritos in the same night... sounds tough on the stomach!